what do if you notice dust mites on a mattress? Dust mites are airborne and can wreak havoc on the skin! The presence of these microscopic mites may not be obvious. They feed on human skin cells and may irritate or infect you badly. They are often found in mattresses and couches and get multiplied rapidly if they are not been cleaned for a period of months. Dust mite’s feces contain allergens that can irritate and cause allergies in people.
So the best way to eliminate dust mites is to wash and dry the bedding regularly and vacuum daily. We have gathered all the information about how to get rid of dust mites in bed after complete research and implementation.
What Are the Symptoms of Dust Mites in Bed?
- Sneezing & Runny nose
- Itchy & Cough
- Red or watery eyes.
- Nasal congestion.
- The roof of the mouth, or throat.
- Postnasal drip.
- Facial pressure and pain.
How to Get Rid of Mites From Your Bedding [Traditional Way]
Usually, the most common way to remove or reduce dust mites in the bedroom is the use of baking soda and a vacuum. Baking soda is an effective weapon against dust mites. You can also use Diatomaceous earth, DE instead of baking soda. This white powder is quite effective to kill dust mites.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to a cup of baking soda
- Sprinkle it on the mattress and leave it for at least 15 minutes to properly sit on the surface.
- Then vacuum it to suck all the dust mites along with baking soda powder.
- Turn the mattress and repeat the same procedure.
How to Get Rid of Bed Mites Naturally with Steam Cleaner
You can also remove the dust mites naturally by simply using a steam cleaner. Steam cleaning is a natural way of cleaning anything, it doesn’t require any artificial substance. Just grab a good steamer that is capable of emitting high-pressurized steam with recommended heat temperature (of 212-220°).
Before applying steam, it is advisable to vacuum the surface to lift up visible dirt as much as possible.
Heavy stains like sweat and urine penetrate beyond the top layer of the mattress. It requires thorough cleaning and disinfection. This is simply possible with steam cleaning. A steam cleaner emits hot pressurized steam, which contains 5% of moisture. This means it takes less time to dry the mattress as compared to normal washing.
- Pour tap/distilled water into the steam cleaner
- Let the device heat up
- When it gets ready, apply steam above the surface and move it slowly from one side to another.
- For maximum steam penetration, move the steamer along all sides of the mattress. This procedure is effective in killing bacteria, germs, and bed bugs as well.
- Let the mattress dry. It takes 2-3 hours to dry, but again it depends on how much you have steamed the mattress.
How to Control Dust Mites And Other Allergens in Your Home
It is strange but true that you will need some more things and lots of other precautionary measures against these tiny creatures to keep them away from your home.
The following are the facts that you should adopt along with cleaning or washing mattresses.
- Use an anti-dust mite mattress e.g. memory foam. Gel foam, latex mattress, or reflex foam.
- Use a dehumidifier in your room. It reduces humidity in the air, so lesser chances of dust mites growing.
- Try to keep away the stuffed toys and other feathered blankets from your room.
- Replacing of carpets: Rugs and carpets are one of the main sources of allergies. You should use any other floor like wooden, vinyl, marble, granite, etc.
- Use a wet cloth for dusting. Dry clothes spread more dust in the air.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter. Simple vacuuming sucked all tiny particles into the vacuum cleaner, but these microscopic bugs easily come out from the machine. HEPA (High-efficiency particulate air) ensures to keep all dust and bugs in the vacuum cleaner.
- Regularly vacuuming: reduces dust.
- Apply vacuum cleaner on other fabricated stuff like upholstery, couches, carpet, etc.
- Try to use furniture made of other materials like plastic, wood, metal, or leather.
- Use blinds, shutters instead of curtains, and drapes on windows.
- Install a hygrometer: It measures humidity and moisture in the air. Humidity above 55% means there will be chances of dust mites in your home.
- Avoid indoor smoking.
- Use furnace filters. It is used to trap dirt and dust in the air.
- Use dust mite protectors
- Use a Steam cleaner
- Take out your fabricated stuff to the sun
- While cleaning or dusting, wear a face mask
- Spray eucalyptus or tea tree oil around your home.
- Don’t let your pet come into your room
- Make cross-ventilation in your home to increase airflow and decrease dust mites.
- Avoid indoor plants that require moisture, which is good for dust mites.
- Don’t put wet laundry near your bedroom.
- There must be ventilation in the kitchen. It is full of humidity and moisture that is favorable for dust mites.
- How to Choose A Steam Cleaner – Buying Guide  - October 1, 2023
- 7 Best Steam Cleaner for Allergies In 2023 - September 27, 2023
- How to Use A Steam Cleaner in the Bathroom Like A Pro! - September 17, 2023